Club Membership Details
You may want to offer the English Springer Spaniel your support and become a member of the English Springer Spaniel Club. The Club is known as the 'Parent' Club of the Breed and was formed in February 1921.
The Objects of the Club (a direct quote from early Club Rules)
The name of the Club shall be called the "English Springer Spaniel Club," its strategic objective is to raise the relevance of the Club in the eyes of all English Springer Spaniel Owners, so as to better able 'to protect and promote in every way the breeding, general improvement, health and well-being of the English Springer Spaniel'.
This objective is to be achieved by:
- Accepting the KC Breed Standard for the English Springer Spaniel as the sole standard;
- Promoting the Kennel Club Breed Standard for the English Springer Spaniel as the only recognised and unvarying standard by which they must be judged at Shows;
- Awarding prizes of merit to English Springer Spaniels and supporting Shows and Field Trials;
- Recognising the importance of English Springer Spaniel health and welfare and promoting their breeding in accordance with Ethical Guidelines;
- Encouraging the development of all those concerned with the English Springer Spaniel through education and training;
- Popularising English Springer Spaniel events, focusing on the retention of existing customers and the attracting of new; and
- Taking any other steps, approved by the Committee of the Club, and in accordance with Kennel Club Rules and Regulations, to do all in its power to protect and advance the interest in this variety of Sporting Spaniel.
What does the Club do?
- The Club acts as a Keeper of the Breed and liaises with the Kennel Club (UK) and also the other UK ESS Breed Clubs and Societies, in all matters relating to the English Springer Spaniel including its health and welfare.
The Club has a very strong Committee of eighteen individuals many of which judge English Springer Spaniels at Championship level both in the UK and overseas. The Committee offers a wealth of experience both on the show and working side of the breed.
- If you wish to show your ESS, you may be interested to know that the Club holds an 22 Class Open Show in November, and a 34 Class Championship Show in April each year. The Secretary of the Club organises the Shows, as well as dealing with the administration for all general matters.
- If you are interested in the working-side of the Breed and Field Trials, the Club also organises a Novice Stake and an Open Qualifying Stake each year and these are generally held in the last two months of the year. The ESSC Field Trial Secretary organises these events.
The Benefits of being an ESSC Member
Membership of the Club will provide you with details of the above events and will enable you to enter them at reduced rates.
- You will have access to a wealth of knowledge from our very strong Committee of ESS enthusiasts, Championship Show Judges, Field Trial Experts and the ESS Health Co-ordinator.
- You have the opportunity to publish a personal ESS webpage through the Club's own website.
- You will be able to advertise your puppies on the ESSC Puppy Register provided that you undertake to abide by the Rules of the Club , the Code of Ethics and the Ethical Guidelines for Breeders. This service is provided 'free of charge'.
- The ESSC also sells its own Car Stickers and Calendar. It also stock Books, Videos and DVDs about the Breed plus other ESS related items. Email the Club Secretary if you wish to enquire about the sale of these items or visit the online shop.
Application Form for Membership
There is a specific form to apply for membership of the ESSC, which can be obtained by emailing Angela Mitchell ESSC Secretary.
The form should be completed and returned to the ESSC Treasurer with the full fees, details of which you will find below. Once your application has been approved, there is a facility for you to pay any future annual subscription by direct debit.
Members of the ESSC are expected to undertake to abide by the Rules of the Club , Code of Ethics and the Ethical Guidelines for Breeders.
ESSC Membership Fees
Single Annual Subscription: £7 as from 1.1.2010
Joint Annual Subscription: £8 as from 1.1.2010
After you send in the Application Form - what happens next?
Your application will be presented at an ESSC Committee Meeting - held four times per year. If your application is successful you will be notified in writing and sent the relevant ESSC documentation.